Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Chat n' Chew

is an institution. I still remember the first time I went to this restaurant. It was the summer I stayed with my brother for two weeks for the Parsons summer program. I went more than once during that visit, the last being the day before I left because that crazy political/religious discussion with "Reason" broke out in Union Square and lasted until 10 pm or so. Apparently my brother still emails around with that group of people and they call themselves the Union Square Philosophers.
Anyway...


That neon sign is like a beacon to the hungry and stingey. When Trevor came to town with his dad I took them there and they loved it. His dad called it "a reminder of home" thanks to the old-diner decor. Just like some midwestern eatery roadtrip stop on the drive from Wisconsin to Minnesota or something.

You walk in and the feeling is nothing but warm.

And I don't even have to mention the food. It speaks for itself. Especially with cutesy names like the "Holy Cow," "Thanksgiving on a Roll," "Miss Patty's Chicken Sammy," and my favorite, "Teenie Weenie Mac n Cheese."



I've never had any room for a cake or pie, but I'm sure they're incredible. This restaurant is, as it says, truly "Real American Homestyle."
Plus, lucky for me it's on the same street as one of the New School buildings (the one where I always have art history) and only a few blocks away from the main Parsons building.

I'd go every day if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment