Friday, March 26, 2010

MET day

I went to the MET today with my pal, Dan, to choose two pieces to compare for an art history paper. I think it was a little easier to find similar subjects this time because it's on European art.
I chose a piece by Jean Honore Fragonard (a pretty famous Rococo painter) called "A Shaded Avenue,"

and a piece by Pieter Bruegel the Elder (LOVE him!) from his series on the four seasons called "The Harvesters"

What I love about both of them is that they could include such detail at a small scale. The Fragonard is physically a smaller scale (about 6x10" maybe), and the Bruegel is fairly larger, but they still have a lot of information. To highlight this I circled a little house way in the background, some sailboats in the background, and a bird in a tree in the foreground.



You can look up at the original to try and find these little details, almost like an I Spy.

After the museum I got some food to go (Penne with mozzarella and roasted peppers, yum!).

No comments:

Post a Comment