Friday, January 29, 2010

Catching Up pt. IV: Another Recipe


As promised, here's a recipe for meatballs that comes from, you guessed it, my dear sweet mother.

about half pack of ground beef
2 eggs
2 Tbsp onion soup powder
Bread crumbs
cooking oil
1 jar tomato sauce

1.In a bowl, mix beef, eggs and soup powder. Add enough bread crumbs to make a dry mixture.
2.Cover bottom of a large saucepan with oil and heat up over medium heat. Form balls by rolling them between your palms, measuring about 1 tablespoon of beef for each. Drop in the oil one at a time, about half the mixture. Turn when brown, about 5 minutes, cook another 2 minutes and remove to a plate. Finish the other half of mixture the same way.
3.Add the meatballs on the plate to the pot and pour the tomato sauce over them, stirring gently.
4.Cover and lower heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes, checking that sauce does not get too dry. Add ¼ cup water at a time if it does.

I only used one egg when I made this, but I didn't use that much beef, so I guess it depends on how much you have. I paired this with some homemade garlic mashed potatoes and it was delish.
To make the mashed potatoes I usually just cut up one or two potatoes into cubes, boil them with a pinch of salt and let them boil for 10-13 minutes. Then when they're soft I strain them and mash them up with some salt and butter.
For the garlic, I used half a clove minced and cooked in butter until a little brown, and then mixed in with the already-mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment